Monday, June 18, 2007

Father's Day vs Mother's Day


One of colleague came up to me this morning and told me that yesterday was a father's day...I said to him that I know it was father's day because I have a father..uhuk..I did not mean anything to that words or as sarcastic words..it's just word with no meaning in it...oooooh sorry pal...huhuhu...erm,how should i put it....??

Talking about father's day and mother's day...why is it so important to have this two occassions in our lives??I still remember during my childhood years, childhood trips to the mall were an adventure, especially when there was an occasion such as Father's Day or Mother's Day to prompt the quest... I often gravitated towards Memory Lane's (cards & gifts's shop)..Neither of us gave much tought to what these gifts meant; they were simply reflections of a child's love and appreciation for her father or mother.Like most people, I listened to commercials that promised insight into what all dads/moms need - perfumes,watches and jewelleries or even choc & flowers...more important I learned that the gifts we give and things we do to mark these occassions are not so simple in their meaning..Why do we get dad a wallet or a tie?Because "good" fathers take care of the financial needs of the family, and these gifts symbolize his role as the provider...and because dad works so hard, he needs to remember to play, so gifts that support his favorite sport or hobby are also common. As for moms, simply because they brought us to this world and they sacrificed their time and energy to raised us to become somebody.

There is also meaning behind the things we do to celebrate Mother's Day and Father's Day,and this particularly evident when comparing the two occassions...Fathers are significantly less likely receive a gift, go out to eat and celebrate with extended family on Father's Day than mother's are on Mother's Day. Father's Day celebrations are also shorter by approximately two hours (I guess).. Could this be a reflection of the societal message that dads are less important to the family than mom?Yet despite spending less time celebrating,doing less and getting less, fathers reported a significatly greater enjoyment of Father's Day than mothers did of their Mother's Day celebrations. ..I wonder if your dads out there don't realize you are getting the short end of the stick..Maybe your expectations of how the day should go are not as high as Mom's, and therefore there is less dissapointment in your day.

We think more stereotypically about mothers and fathers on Mother's Day and Father's Day vs other family events such as birthdays. This is reflected in the gifts given on these occassions. The gendered nature of Mother's Day and Father's Day is underlined (that is, Mom is a woman, Dad is a man) by giving more stereotypically expensive gifts to moms than the fathers. Fathers and Mothers should be treated the same as a respect to them for raising us. Why should it matter what families do, what gifts they give or what feelings they have about Mother's Day and Father's Day?..These two occassions provide insight into what society values about motherhood and fatherhood and reinforce normative conceptions of what "good" mothers and fathers do.So, for me if a mother can have a RM 500 value of gift, it should go the same for a father...that's the act of being fair to both mother and father.

For Mother's Day last month, I bought for my mother a beads bracelet and for this father's day, I will get something special for my father at the same value as mom's gift....

2 comments:

suriani said...

i wonder if you can ever blog in BM!

Azmah Yusof said...

Hye Uni Ameer,

I can..but to many writings & speaks in Malay..sometimes we need to sharpen our foreign language skills...I know mandarin,maybe I can write a blog in Mandarin one day..